Website Form Submissions Are Not Consistently Triggering Brevo Automations

HI Brevo Members,

I’m experiencing an intermittent problem with the automation connected to my website, where a visitor submits a form successfully but the expected Brevo automation does not always start for that contact. The form itself appears to work normally from the visitor’s perspective: the user enters their information, submits the form, receives the expected confirmation message, and the website does not display an error. However, when I check the contact activity afterward, some submissions do not seem to enter the automation workflow that should be triggered by that form submission. This does not happen with every submission, which makes the issue particularly difficult to reproduce. Some contacts are added and processed exactly as expected, while other contacts appear to exist without receiving the automated action associated with the workflow. I have been testing the same form and using the same general submission process, so I initially expected every successful submission to behave consistently. The main problem is that there seems to be a gap between the successful submission recorded by the website and the point where Brevo should recognize that submission as the event that starts the automation.

I have checked the automation itself and confirmed that the intended trigger is based on the contact being added or updated through the website form process. The workflow contains the expected steps after the trigger, so when a contact enters it successfully, the automation behaves normally. The problem is specifically with certain contacts apparently not reaching the starting point of the workflow. I have also compared contacts that were processed correctly with contacts that were not, and I have not yet found an obvious difference that explains why one submission triggers the automation while another does not. The website form is connected to the same contact list and is being used in the same way each time, rather than visitors being directed through completely different forms. Because the automation works for some submissions, I do not think the workflow actions themselves are completely broken. Instead, I suspect that the event connecting the website submission to the Brevo contact record is sometimes not being recognized at the expected moment. I am trying to understand whether there is a recommended way within Brevo to trace an individual contact’s journey from the initial form submission through contact creation or update and finally into the automation trigger.

The timing also seems important because the issue does not always appear immediately after a form is submitted. In some cases, the contact becomes visible in the relevant list, but the automation does not appear to start at the same time. I have waited and checked the contact again later, but the behavior is not consistent enough for me to determine whether this is simply processing delay or whether the trigger was missed completely. I have avoided repeatedly submitting the same information because I do not want to create duplicate contacts and make the testing more difficult. Instead, I have been using different test addresses and comparing the results of separate submissions. A successful website response makes the situation confusing because it gives the impression that the complete process has finished, even though the automation side may not have received or acted on the expected event. I would like to know whether Brevo has any activity history, event logs, or contact-level information that can show exactly when a form submission was received and whether that event qualified for the automation trigger. Having that information would help me determine whether the problem occurs during the website-to-Brevo handoff or after Brevo has already received the contact.

I have also reviewed the website integration because I want to make sure that the form is actually sending the same information every time. The fields used by the form are mapped to the corresponding contact information, and the website does not show any validation errors when the submission is completed. I have tested the form from different browser sessions and confirmed that normal visitors can complete it without seeing an obvious failure. However, because the automation behavior is intermittent, I am wondering whether the timing of the contact creation or update could affect the trigger. For example, if the contact already exists in Brevo and the website submits updated information instead of creating a completely new contact, I am not sure whether that should trigger the same automation in every situation. I also do not want to change the workflow trigger blindly because the existing trigger appears to work for many contacts. My goal is to understand the exact behavior Brevo expects when a website form creates a new contact versus when it updates an existing contact, and whether there is anything specific I should verify in the integration or contact attributes to make sure every legitimate submission can reliably enter the automation.

The reason this matters to me is that the automation is intended to handle the follow-up after someone submits the website form, so missing even a portion of the contacts means some visitors may not receive the expected automated communication. I am not looking for a way to manually add those contacts to the workflow after the fact because that would defeat the purpose of having the website and automation connected in the first place. I want the process to be reliable enough that a valid submission automatically produces the same result every time. I have already checked the obvious things such as whether the workflow is active, whether the contact list is correct, and whether the form itself can successfully accept submissions. Since successful submissions and successful automation entries are both occurring, the difficult part is identifying what happens specifically with the submissions that appear to fall between those two stages. If there is a recommended testing method for diagnosing this type of intermittent automation trigger, such as checking contact event history, comparing newly created contacts with existing contacts, or reviewing the event associated with a particular submission, I would appreciate knowing which information is most useful to collect before making any changes.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation where a website form submission completes successfully and the contact becomes available in Brevo, but the automation triggered by that submission does not consistently start? I would especially like to understand how Brevo determines whether a contact qualifies for an automation trigger when the contact already exists versus when the submission creates a new contact. Is there a specific place in the Brevo interface where I can inspect the event history for an affected contact and confirm whether the form submission was received, whether the contact was created or updated, and whether the automation trigger evaluated that event? I want to troubleshoot this as one end-to-end process rather than changing several unrelated settings, because the automation itself appears to work whenever the contact actually enters it. Any guidance on how to identify why certain valid website submissions are not reaching the automation trigger, and what logs or contact information should be checked to isolate the exact point where the process stops, would be very helpful. My main goal is simply to make sure every genuine website form submission that meets the intended criteria reliably enters the same Brevo automation without requiring manual intervention.

Is there anyone who can guide?

Hi @joeroot,

Thanks for the detailed write-up.

This kind of intermittent behavior is one of the trickier automation issues to diagnose, but what you’re describing is a well-known pattern with a clear set of checks to run.

The most likely cause: new contact vs. existing contact behavior

The key distinction in Brevo automations is how the trigger handles a contact who already exists in your database.

If your workflow entry point is « A contact is added to a list », this trigger only fires when a contact is added to that list for the first time. If a visitor submits your form and that email address already exists in Brevo and is already a member of the target list, the trigger will not fire again — even though the form submission completed successfully and the contact record was updated.

This explains exactly the pattern you’re seeing:

New visitors (not yet in Brevo) → form submission creates a new contact → trigger fires → automation starts

Returning visitors (already in Brevo, already on the list) → contact is updated but not newly added → trigger does not fire → automation does not start

Check Automation > Logs — go to your workflow and open the Logs tab. Search for one of the contacts who did not enter. If they don’t appear in the logs at all, the trigger was never evaluated for them, which points to the new-vs-existing contact issue above.

Check the contact’s activity — go to Contacts, open one of the affected contacts, and look at their Activity tab. You should be able to see whether a form submission or list addition event was recorded, and when.

Compare the two groups — check whether the contacts that successfully entered the workflow were newly created at the time of submission, while the ones that didn’t were already in your list before they submitted the form.

How to fix it

There are a couple of approaches depending on your use case:

Change the trigger to « A contact attribute is updated » — choose a specific attribute that your form always writes (for example, a custom field like « last form submitted date » or a text attribute). Since this attribute changes on every submission regardless of whether the contact is new or existing, the trigger will evaluate every time. You would need to update your form to always write to that attribute.

Use re-entry settings — if you want the same contact to be able to re-enter the workflow on repeat submissions, make sure re-entry is enabled in the workflow’s Settings panel (Automation > your workflow > Settings). Note that re-entry alone won’t solve the trigger issue if the contact is already on the list — you would still need to pair it with the right trigger type.

Use a « Contact is added or updated in a list » trigger — if this option is available for your workflow type, it will fire on both new additions and updates to existing contacts.

You may also find this Brevo Help Centre article useful for understanding how workflow triggers work: https://help.brevo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001006270

Hope that helps narrow it down. If the issue persists, I would recommend directly opening a ticket so that we are able to investigate this further.

Have a great day !

Best regards,