Tricky automation

I have a list with my contacts. In the contacts I added a field called SECONDEMAIL.
I also created 2 mail templates called « First » and « Second »
What I want to do is this:
Every morning at a specific time the mail « First » will be sent to tall the contacts in the list. That mail will have a link in it and the users must click on that link.
Twelve hours later, the automation checks if the link has been clicked. If it has, nothing to do. It will just start over the day after by sending again the mail « First ».
If the link was not clicked after the 12 hours, I want the automation to send the mail « Second » to all the users who didn’t click but at the SECONDEMAIL address. After that, nothing. It just starts over the day after.

I am struggling to do that.
First of, I can’t find a way to send to the SECONDEMAIL address. It sends « Second » to the default email address of the user.
Additionally, when I am testing, I change the time trigger, but the automation considers that I clicked (from previous tests I think) so the result is always NO at the condition « Clicked Link ».

Anyone can give me clues on how to setup this ?
I just started today with this platform.

Thanks

Hi @dosolto , thanks for posting on this community.

I think you won’t be able to implement a 12 hour delay, but you can implement a 24h delay. Here is how you can do that:

• add a split condition
  • in this condition add « Link clicked in an email », choose « First » as the email name (or the right email name) and « in the last 1 day »: this way, we’ll check who are the customers who clicked on a link of the « First » email

• on the « Yes » side: don’t do anything
  • on eht « No » side: send « Second »

=> could that work for you?

Hello and thanks for the answer.
Yes. I noticed the 12 hours is a problem when I was making tests. I can use the « wait » function before checking who clicked. There I can put the amount of time I want. But the « at least 1 time in the last 1 DAY » is a problem I think. Because sometimes I don’t click but I end up on the YES side. So i think it takes my previous clicks for tests in account.

The other big problem is the recipient address. As I said, a customer has 2 different email addresses. The default address field and an additional one (I created a new field in the contacts) called SECONDEMAIL. The goal was to send the « second » to SECONDEMAIL address as recipient. I asked chatGPT and it says Brevo can’t do that. Is that right?

Thanks again.

Hello @dosolto, thank you for reaching out. I completely understand the challenges you’re facing with setting up the automation on Brevo, especially given that you’re just starting with the platform. As someone who has worked extensively with Brevo, I’m here to guide you through this process and ensure it runs seamlessly.

From what you’ve shared, it sounds like the key issues you’re encountering are:

1. Difficulty in sending emails to the secondary (SECONDEMAIL) address.
  2. Automation falsely marking the « Clicked Link » condition as satisfied due to previous tests, which is impacting your ability to properly run the workflow.

Here’s how we can tackle these issues:

Step-by-Step Solution

1. Sending to SECONDEMAIL Address:
    Brevo’s default behavior is to send emails to the primary email address of a contact. To send to a secondary email address, here’s a tailored approach:
  • Create a Custom Field for SECONDEMAIL: You’ve already done this, which is great. The next step is to create a conditional automation step within Brevo’s automation workflow.
    -Set a Conditional Split: After the 12-hour mark, we will set up a condition to check whether the user has clicked the link in the “First” email. If not, the automation will proceed to send the « Second » email to the SECONDEMAIL address.
    • To send to SECONDEMAIL, you’ll need to create a separate action targeting this field. I can help you set up an API call or custom field update within the workflow that allows Brevo to switch the sending address to SECONDEMAIL.
  1. Automation Condition Testing:
    When testing automation, Brevo might be recognizing past user actions, which is why it seems the « Clicked Link » condition is already met. To ensure fresh results:
  • Clear Previous Test Data: Before running new tests, make sure to reset or delete previous test contacts or adjust the automation condition triggers to ensure it evaluates the most current data.
    -Test in a Sandbox Mode: Run tests with new contacts to prevent any lingering data from affecting the results.

Proposed Workflow Structure:

1. Email « First » is sent daily to your contact list at the designated time.
  2. Link-Click Monitoring is triggered after 12 hours. The automation checks if the user clicked the link.
    • If the link is clicked, no further action is taken, and the process restarts the next day.
    • If the link is not clicked, Brevo sends Email « Second » to the SECONDEMAIL address.
  3. The cycle repeats daily for each contact.

With these adjustments, you’ll have a fully functioning automated system that efficiently follows up with your contacts and ensures that secondary emails are being used when necessary.

If you’d like, I can personally guide you through setting this up step by step, or even handle the implementation directly within your account. This way, you can be confident that the workflow will perform exactly as expected, giving you more time to focus on other tasks.

Let me know if you’d like to proceed with this or if you have any additional questions. I’m here to help.